Self-Introductory Letter

 Dear Professor Blackstone,

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. My name is Jared Tan, and I am writing this letter to formally introduce myself. 

Since young, I have been fascinated with the inner workings of airplanes, and how they can battle against gravity and soar into the skies despite weighing hundreds of tons. This led me to pursue a diploma in aeronautical and aerospace at Nanyang Polytechnic.

During the final year of my polytechnic studies, I had the opportunity to compete in WorldSkills Singapore 2021 in CNC Milling. Given a time limit of 8 hours along with a technical drawing, I was to create a fully machined steel part using computer-aided design and manufacturing software connected to a CNC machine. My choice to study mechanical engineering at the Singapore Institute of Technology was influenced by my WorldSkills experience where I was able to try things I had never experienced such as operating a CNC machine and being able to produce an item from scratch.

I have been told that one of my communication strengths is active listening. I can empathize with the other party and provide an unbiased opinion while taking note of their verbal and nonverbal cues. This allows me to be more open-minded when mediating conflicts that arise. However, one weakness that I have is written communication. I have difficulties articulating my thoughts into words, which often leads me to not clearly convey my point across.

My goals for this module is to firstly, improve my writing capability as reports and written proposals are a crucial part of university studies and the engineering industry. Secondly, I would like to learn effective verbal communication techniques as complex and technical information must be accurately and efficiently delivered to prevent miscommunication from transpiring.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to read my letter.

Yours sincerely,

Jared Tan 







Comments

  1. Hi Jared, it was a great letter to read, and through this, I really managed to get to learn more abou you as a friend! It was interesting how you competed in a competition due to your passion and interest in aeronautical and aerospace, and also how you mentioned the influence that encouraged you to choose mechanical engineering. It would have been great if you managed to include your plans on improving your weaknesses as well.
    Overall your letter was concise and clear, and I hope that you will be able to achieve your goals in being able to communicate well in both oral and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jared! I really enjoyed reading your letter, it was well written with great clarity, relevance and accuracy. It's incredible that you had competed in WorldSkills Singapore as I know from a friend that the amount of effort and countless hours of training needed in order to participate.

    There are few things I think you could consider improving for your letter writing such as the depth, for example, for paragraph 3 it has good depth, but it could benefit from a brief reflection on how this experience has prepared you for the challenges in mechanical engineering, like does it involve teamwork, helped you gain better time-management skills etc.

    For paragraph 4, you could consider adding specific examples or instances where your active listening skills were beneficial or where written communication challenges had an impact.

    For paragraph 5, clarity wise, the goals are clearly stated and specific and for accuracy the goals are accurate and align well with the needs of engineering studies. The relevance is high as it shows your focus for the module and its practical importance. For depth, the paragraph is clear but could be enhanced by specifying what strategies or methods you plan to use to achieve these goals.

    Overall, great letter! Keep doing the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jared,

    I think you've done a great job introducing yourself and highlighting your passion for mechanical engineering. Your story about WorldSkills and how it influenced your decision to pursue this field is really captivating.

    One suggestion I have is to add a bit more clarity in your final paragraph when discussing your communication goals. You could elaborate on how improving your writing and verbal communication will benefit you in the engineering field. Overall, it’s clear and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Day Jared,

    The content for this email is appropriate. I enjoyed reading though your background. I liked how you linked the WorldSkills experience to why you chose to pursue mechanical engineering in SIT. The experience at WorldSkills was well-elaborated, with enough content for me to understand what you did there. Your strength and weakness is well-established. I look forward to you achieving your goals for this module. Overall, the language use was appropriate and the content follows the 7Cs quite well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts